Here are my key points from the keynote speech by Tim Gulson of Paypal at the Internet Retail Expo.
Tim talked a lot about mobile payment and shopping unsurprisingly.
- In 2010 13% of people bought using mobile devices. In 2016 this is projected to be 42%.
- 36% of people shopping online will actually purchase in store.
- 72% are smartphone owners, meaning that 28% aren’t. This includes feature phones and tablets.
- The male / female split is almost half and half – 54% male, 46% female.
- Tim pointed out that many apps are deleted quickly, so it’s essential to have a mobile website too.
- Mobile visitors expect advanced features and performance.
- There are 2-3m active PayPal app users.
- Companies want to replicate web experience on mobile devices.